MONKEY BAA PRESENTS THE FIRST EVER PERFORMANCE-BASED
SEMINAR FOR LALLY KATZ’S HSC PRESCRIBED TEXT
A Monkey Baa Theatre Company initiative
neighbourhood watch seminar
Students will experience professional actors performing key scenes from the play before discussing the journeys and ambiguities of each character and their staging choices with director Sandra Eldridge.
Sandra will share her process and bring unique insights into the directorial production choices and the challenges of bringing this work to the stage, exploring such questions as:
- How do the key relationships drive the drama?
- How do production elements such as set, lighting and other technical choices communicate the key themes and symbolism to the audience?
- What role does the the theatrical form of epic and magic realism in the multiple worlds of the play?
- What are the implied text choices that actors bring to the work?
- How and why does the play speak to us today?
Students will actively discuss these topics and more with the actors and director, helping to inform their own views and critical thinking on the play.
ABOUT THE FACILITATOR
Sandra Eldridge has extensive directorial experience for Monkey Baa, Darlinghurst Theatre Company and WAAPA including the Helpmann Award-winning productions of Hitler’s Daughter and Thursday’s Child.